More than 20 Afghan commandos have been killed in Afghanistan’s northern province of Faryab by Taliban militants, local officials say according to 7news.com.
The elite forces were deployed to recapture a district seized by the Taliban about 10 days ago, two provincial councillors said.
Security forces briefly retook control of Dawlat Abad district from the Taliban late on Tuesday but militants hiding in surrounding villages then ambushed them, councillors Abdul Manan Qati and Fazal Haq Mohammadi said on Thursday.
At least two military tanks were struck by roadside bomb blasts during the attack, which took place close to the border with Turkmenistan.
Violence continues unabated across Afghanistan and the militants have seen a string of gains recently.
Since the beginning of the official withdrawal of the United States and other NATO troops on May 1, at least 27 districts have fallen to the Taliban.
Afghanistan has 34 provinces and around 400 districts. District centres serve as secondary-level administrative units, one level below the provinces.
Concerns are growing about the capability of security forces following a complete withdrawal of the international forces.
According to a UN report, the Taliban was able to capture five districts last year, four of which were recaptured by the government within several days.