In their travel advisory published on January 10, US State Department warned citizens that Kosovo is a “High-Risk Area”.
“Exercise increased caution in Kosovo due to terrorism. Some areas have increased risk,” reads travel advisory published on travel.state.gov website.
Reconsider travel to:
- North Mitrovica, Leposavic, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan due to civil unrest.
Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in the Balkans region, including Kosovo. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas. In addition, politically motivated violence occurs throughout Kosovo.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Kosovo:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Kosovo.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
North Mitrovica, Leposavic, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan
Tensions within and between communities in northern Kosovo continue to provoke violence, demonstrations, and other unrest in North Mitrovica, Leposavic, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan. Although recent unrest has been politically-related and does not involve tourists or members of the international community, bystanders can be affected if violent incidents occur.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in northern Kosovo as U.S. government employee travel to North Mitrovica, Leposavic, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan is restricted.
Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.