Local officials in western Ghor province on Saturday said that more than 100 insurgents were killed in clashes in Charsada district in the past six days.
Sayed Anwar Rahmati, the provincial acting governor said that Charsada is no longer in the hands of insurgents – following a six day battle by the national security forces to regain control. However, the bodies of numerous insurgents still litter the battle field, said Rahmati.
“In this operation 100 insurgents were killed, 30 injured and 50 of them were arrested. The security forces also seized weapons. In addition eight security force members were killed during the operation,” Rahmati said.
Military officials of 207 Zafar military corps said that insurgents were killed by ground troops and air strikes.
“We are saying to insurgents that we will kill insurgents in any way. Our message to them is to hand over weapons and join the peace process otherwise they will be killed,” Gen. Mahauddin Ghori, commander in chief of 207 Zafar military corps said.
This comes after Taliban insurgents attacked and took control of the district almost a week ago. But after heavy fighting troops regained control. It was reported earlier that police and troops had been surrounded by insurgents but once airstrikes were launched the situation was brought under control.
According to officials, this was the bloodiest attack in Ghor in the past thirteen years.
Rahmati said that the Taliban also robbed a civilian’s home and killed a civilian.
Fazul Haq Ehsan, the provincial council head, said that the number of security forces in the province is not enough compared to other provinces.
“If they don’t address this issue this will happen again especially as the Taliban has not been completely destroyed,” he said.
Despite security forces having regained control of the district, heavy clashes reportedly still continue in certain parts of the district, say officials.